Neurofeedback Therapy Santa Monica, California
Neurofeedback Therapy in Santa Monica, California
- Title: Neurofeedback Therapy in Santa Monica, California
- Authored by Philippa Gold
- Edited by Hugh Soames
- Reviewed by Matthew Idle
- Neurofeedback Therapy Santa Monica, California: We strive to provide the most up-to-date and accurate medical information on the web so our readers can make informed decisions about their healthcare. Our subject matter experts specialize in addiction treatment and behavioral healthcare. We follow strict guidelines when fact-checking information and only use credible sources when citing statistics and medical information. Look for the badge on our articles for the most up-to-date and accurate information. If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate or out-of-date, please let us know via our Contact Page
- Must Read Disclaimer: We use fact-based content and publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by professionals. The information we publish is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider. In a Medical Emergency contact the Emergency Services Immediately.
- Earnings: If you buy something through our ads or external links, we may earn a commission.
Betterhelp Therapy - Connect With a Licensed Therapist Now & Get 20% Off
BetterHelp is one of the most well-known online therapy providers in the World. You may have heard of BetterHelp’s advertisements in Santa Monica, California on podcasts, radio, or read about it online. According to the latest statistics provided by Betterhelp, the online therapy provider has nearly 2 million customers worldwide. Its client-base makes Better Help the world’s largest online therapy provider and a very popular choice.
Better Help ticks a lot of boxes for individuals seeking counseling and therapy to restore the right balance in their lives. All too often we fail to live our best life to our full potential because of things like drinking too much alcohol too regularly, sadness, grief, stress and burnout. The Betterhelp platform allows users to connect with therapists that can help with a variety of wellbeing concerns.
Specializations | Burnout, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Anger Management, Alcohol, Dependencies, Grief, Seasonal Depressive Disorder, Life Crisis, Smoking Cessation (among others)
Betterhelp Cost | The standard fee for BetterHelp therapy is only $65 to $90 per week
Key Takeaways |
- Largest online therapy platform
- Low cost
- Live video
- Phone calls
- Live chat
- No lock in contracts
- Cancel anytime
- Licensed and accredited therapists
Discounts Available | We have negotiated a generous 20% discount for readers of our website. Press Here to get 20% Off
Neurofeedback Therapy Santa Monica, California
Neurofeedback therapy in Santa Monica, California is a non-invasive process by which mental health practitioners in Santa Monica, California measure a patient’s brain waves and assess how different tasks can improve their efficacy. The basis of this approach is the belief that changing the state of your brain can change your behavior.
After being extensively trialled in Santa Monica, California over the past few years, Neurofeedback Therapy is fast becoming the go to treatment for those in the Santa Monica, California area suffering from depression, anxiety, ADHD, neurosis, addiction and autism. It can be used to also in the process of managing withdrawal symptoms and some 12 step based rehabs offer neurofeedback therapy.
When you first go for a neurofeedback therapy session in Santa Monica, California, your health practitioner will attach electrodes to your head and map out your default brain activity. Then as tasks are assigned, they will track how they alter the previously mapped activity. This information will then be used to condition your brain to function more optimally.
Not only is neurofeedback therapy in Santa Monica, California painless and drug-free, but it can also be used to treat a variety of conditions like anxiety, ADHD, and depression. The different types of neurofeedback therapy used in Santa Monica, California for these conditions include:
- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) – this is the most research-based method in Santa Monica, California
- Low-Resolution Electromagnetic Tomography (LORE-TA) – it’s known for revealing a lot of information about how the brains of addicts work and the science of addiction in Santa Monica, California
- Live Z-score Neurofeedback – it is most commonly used on people with insomnia and in local sleep clinics
- Hemoencephalographic (HEG) Neurofeedback – it is particularly used to help people in Santa Monica, California with recurrent migraines as it provides information about the brain’s blood flow
- Slow Cortical Potential Neurofeedback (SCP-NF) – it is commonly used to help people in Santa Monica, California with ADHD or epilepsy
- Frequency/Power Neurofeedback – it’s the most common and simple method used in Santa Monica, California
- Low-Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS) – this method does not require the patient to make any conscious effort
Neurofeedback Therapy Santa Monica, California for Depression
Research into depression shows that it usually occurs when there is an imbalance between the amount of activity in your brain’s left and right frontal lobe1https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression. While those with a more active left side seem to be upbeat, those with a more active right side are often sad and melancholic.
As such, in a bid to cure depression, therapists in Santa Monica, California can use neurofeedback therapy to train your left frontal lobe to be more active. They will ensure our brain gets positive feedback each time your left frontal lobe is activated, encouraging your brain to activate it frequently. This can in turn alleviate the symptoms of depression. Neurofeedback therapy for depression is now a routine treatment in the wider Santa Monica, California area.
Several studies have been done to test the efficacy of this approach, either as a stand-alone treatment or in combination with other approaches. One study even shows that 45% of people suffering from severe depression exhibited normal brain activity after 30 neurofeedback therapy sessions and heart rate variability training.
Another study showed improvement in 5 out of 9 participants subjected to neurofeedback therapy as a treatment for depression. While one person recorded a positive response, four went into full remission. Local therapists in Santa Monica, California are reporting similar success rates.
Neurofeedback therapy in Santa Monica, California for anxiety
People in Santa Monica, California with anxiety usually have repetitive negative thoughts that make them nervous and afraid. And the more they have these thoughts, the more their brain gets locked in a state of hypersensitivity. It becomes a never-ending hole that is hard to come out of. To return the brain to balance, mental health practitioners in Santa Monica, California can use neurofeedback therapy to train your brain to regulate itself during situations that would normally trigger anxiety.
Neurofeedback therapy for ADHD in Santa Monica, California
Normally, when we’re working on a task, brain activity increases, allowing us to concentrate. But for people in Santa Monica, California with ADHD, the opposite commonly happens – their brains slow down, making it harder for them to concentrate. This is usually because most of their brains have low concentrations of high-frequency beta waves and high concentrations of low-frequency theta or delta waves.
And while a combination of behavioral therapy and psychostimulants is usually the traditional approach to treating ADHD, this approach comes with some downsides. For instance, some patients have complained about a reduction in appetite and eventually weight loss upon starting medication.
As such, some mental health practitioners in Santa Monica, California are turning to neurofeedback therapy to improve the brain’s capacity for beta waves and alleviate ADHD symptoms. These waves help us process information and solve problems. On the other hand, high concentrations of theta waves lead to disorganization, difficulties in completing tasks, and high distractability.
It is unsurprising several studies reported a significant improvement when neurofeedback therapy was included as part of an overall ADHD treatment plan.
Neurofeedback therapy for autism in Santa Monica, California
Autism is a disorder that is characterized by difficulties with speech, communication, socializing, and repetitive behavior. The severity of the condition varies from person to person. As such, there is no one-size-fits-all treatment for this condition – each patient needs a tailor-made approach.
And while most patients with autism in Santa Monica, California rely on traditional forms of treatment like medication, cognitive behavior therapy, and speech-language therapy, some have turned to neurofeedback therapy. But there aren’t many studies on the efficacy of neurofeedback therapy against autism. In fact, some of the supporters of this course of treatment base their belief on research on its efficacy against ADHD.
Neurofeedback Therapy Santa Monica, California
Are there any side effects to Neurofeedback Therapy in Santa Monica, California?
While neurofeedback therapy in Santa Monica, California is painless and non-invasive, it does have some side effects. These may include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Vocal changes
- Brain fog
- Dizziness and fatigue
- Head pressure
- Muscle tension
- Worsening of symptoms
Neurofeedback therapy isn’t right for everyone so do check with your local team in Santa Monica, California and of course consult your Doctor or Physician.
All types of Rehab and Treatment in Santa Monica, California
Eating Disorder Treatment Centers in Santa Monica, California
Eating Disorder Treatment Centers in Santa Monica, California
Santa Monica, California Wellness Centers
Santa Monica, California Telehealth
Mental Health Retreats in Santa Monica, California
Online Rehab in Santa Monica, California
Depression Treatment Centers in Santa Monica, California
Cost of Rehab in Santa Monica, California
Suboxone Clinics in Santa Monica, California
Anxiety Treatment Centers in Santa Monica, California
Top Psychiatrists in Santa Monica, California
Christian Rehab Centers in Santa Monica, California
Drug Rehabs in Santa Monica, California
Teen Rehab in Santa Monica, California
Therapeutic Boarding Schools in Santa Monica, California
Rehabilitation Centers Near Santa Monica, California
All Rehabs in Santa Monica, California
Rehabs in Santa Monica, California
Find the Best Rehabs all over the World
Worlds Best Rehab
Find an Neurofeedback Therapist in Santa Monica, California
|Business Name||Rating||Categories||Phone Number||Address|
|Lena Dicken, PsyD||Psychologists||+14242688207||185 Pier Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90405|
|Beth Kadlec, MA, LCSW||Counseling & Mental Health, Life Coach, Career Counseling||+13235224450||2665 30th St, Santa Monica, CA 90405|
|Ray Doktor, Psy D||Counseling & Mental Health, Life Coach, Career Counseling||+14243091188||1112 Montana Ave, Ste 85, Santa Monica, CA 90403|
|Stefani Reitter, LMFT||Counseling & Mental Health||+13106250572||3020 Wilshire Blvd, Ste G, Santa Monica, CA 90403|
|Maya Rasak||Psychologists, Life Coach||+13109633859||1830 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404|
|Heal Yourself LA||Counseling & Mental Health, Life Coach, Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy||+18443472742||2001 S Barrington Ave, Ste 203, Los Angeles, CA 90025|
|Tiffany Falk Therapy||Counseling & Mental Health||+14242619213||12304 Santa Monica Blvd, Ste 327, Los Angeles, CA 90025|
|Emily Van Horn-Trauma Healing||Counseling & Mental Health||+13109043698||Santa Monica, CA 90404|
|Amy Margolis, LCSW||Counseling & Mental Health||+13108661614||Santa Monica, CA 90401|
|My LA Therapy – Santa Monica||Counseling & Mental Health||+13108965568||127 Broadway, Ste 205, Santa Monica, CA 90401|
|Jennifer Huggins, PsyD||Psychologists||+14242565535||2001 S Barrington Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90025|
|Quincee Gideon||Psychologists||+13104015072||1452 26th St, Ste 106, Santa Monica, CA 90404|
|Nicole Nowparvar, LCSW||Counseling & Mental Health, Life Coach||+14242849212||10350 Santa Monica Blvd, Ste 330, Los Angeles, CA 90025|
|Jori Adler, MFT||Psychologists||+13236093242||3400 Airport Ave, Ste 30, Santa Monica, CA 90405|
|Playa Vista Mental Health||Psychiatrists, Counseling & Mental Health||+13238136218||12057 Jefferson Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90230|
|Michael Mamoun, MD||Counseling & Mental Health, Psychiatrists||+13104409800||2811 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 790, CNS Integrated Behavioral Health & Medicine, Santa Monica, CA 90403|
|Empowerment Life Coaching with Jessica London Laed||Life Coach, Psychologists||+13103571818||2001 S Barrington Ave, Ste 215, Los Angeles, CA 90025|
|Elissa Hurand||Counseling & Mental Health||+16199938465||429 Santa Monica Blvd, Ste 200, Santa Monica, CA 90401|
|Playa Vista Counseling||Counseling & Mental Health||+13107545304||5855-A Uplander Way, Los Angeles, CA 90230|
|Neuropsychology Health Group||Psychologists||+13109822358||1932 14th St, Second Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90404|
Santa Monica (Spanish for ‘Saint Monica’; Spanish: Santa Mónica) is a city in Los Angeles County, situated along Santa Monica Bay on California’s South Coast. Santa Monica’s 2020 U.S. Census population was 93,076. Santa Monica is a popular resort town, owing to its climate, beaches, and hospitality industry. It has a diverse economy, hosting headquarters of companies such as Hulu, Universal Music Group, Lionsgate Films, and The Recording Academy.
Santa Monica traces its history to Rancho San Vicente y Santa Monica, granted in 1839 to the Sepúlveda family of California. The rancho was later sold to John P. Jones and Robert Baker, who in 1875, along with his Californio heiress wife Arcadia Bandini de Stearns Baker, founded Santa Monica, which incorporated as a city in 1886. The city developed into a seaside resort during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, with the creation of tourist attractions such as Palisades Park, the Santa Monica Pier, Ocean Park, and the Hotel Casa del Mar.
References and Citations: Neurofeedback Therapy Santa Monica, California
- Angelakis E., Stathopoulou S., Frymiare J. L., Green D. L., Lubar J. F., Kounios J. ( 2007). EEG neurofeedback: a brief overview and an example of peak alpha frequency training for cognitive enhancement in the elderly. Clinical Neuropsychologist, 21( 1), 110– 129. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Beatty J., Greenberg A., Deibler W. P., O’Hanlon J. F. ( 1974). Operant control of occipital theta rhythm affects performance in a radar monitoring task. Science, 183( 4127), 871– 873. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Collura T. F., Guan J., Tarrant J., Bailey J., Starr F. ( 2010). EEG biofeedback case studies using live Z-score training and a normative database. Journal of Neurotherapy, 14( 1), 22– 46. [Google Scholar]
- Escolano C., Olivan B., Lopez-del-Hoyo Y., Garcia-Campayo J., Minguez J. ( 2012). Double-blind single-session neuro-feedback training in upper-alpha for cognitive enhancement of healthy subjects. Conference Proceedings of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2012, 4643–4647. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2012.6347002. [Google Scholar]