Neurofeedback Therapy Lafayette, Louisiana
Neurofeedback Therapy in Lafayette, Louisiana
- Title: Neurofeedback Therapy in Lafayette, Louisiana
- Authored by Philippa Gold
- Edited by Hugh Soames
- Reviewed by Matthew Idle
- Neurofeedback Therapy Lafayette, Louisiana: We strive to provide the most up-to-date and accurate medical information on the web so our readers can make informed decisions about their healthcare. Our subject matter experts specialize in addiction treatment and behavioral healthcare. We follow strict guidelines when fact-checking information and only use credible sources when citing statistics and medical information. Look for the badge on our articles for the most up-to-date and accurate information. If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate or out-of-date, please let us know via our Contact Page
- Must Read Disclaimer: We use fact-based content and publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by professionals. The information we publish is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider. In a Medical Emergency contact the Emergency Services Immediately.
- Earnings: If you buy something through our ads or external links, we may earn a commission.
BetterHelp is one of the most well-known online therapy providers in the World. You may have heard of BetterHelp’s advertisements in Lafayette, Louisiana on podcasts, radio, or read about it online. According to the latest statistics provided by Betterhelp, the online therapy provider has nearly 2 million customers worldwide. Its client-base makes Better Help the world’s largest online therapy provider and a very popular choice.
Better Help ticks a lot of boxes for individuals seeking counseling and therapy to restore the right balance in their lives. All too often we fail to live our best life to our full potential because of things like drinking too much alcohol too regularly, sadness, grief, stress and burnout. The Betterhelp platform allows users to connect with therapists that can help with a variety of wellbeing concerns.
Specializations | Burnout, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Anger Management, Alcohol, Dependencies, Grief, Seasonal Depressive Disorder, Life Crisis, Smoking Cessation (among others)
Betterhelp Cost | The standard fee for BetterHelp therapy is only $65 to $90 per week
Key Takeaways |
- Largest online therapy platform
- Low cost
- Live video
- Phone calls
- Live chat
- No lock in contracts
- Cancel anytime
- Licensed and accredited therapists
Discounts Available | We have negotiated a generous 20% discount for readers of our website. Press Here to get 20% Off
Neurofeedback Therapy Lafayette, Louisiana
Neurofeedback therapy in Lafayette, Louisiana is a non-invasive process by which mental health practitioners in Lafayette, Louisiana measure a patient’s brain waves and assess how different tasks can improve their efficacy. The basis of this approach is the belief that changing the state of your brain can change your behavior.
After being extensively trialled in Lafayette, Louisiana over the past few years, Neurofeedback Therapy is fast becoming the go to treatment for those in the Lafayette, Louisiana area suffering from depression, anxiety, ADHD, neurosis, addiction and autism. It can be used to also in the process of managing withdrawal symptoms and some 12 step based rehabs offer neurofeedback therapy.
When you first go for a neurofeedback therapy session in Lafayette, Louisiana, your health practitioner will attach electrodes to your head and map out your default brain activity. Then as tasks are assigned, they will track how they alter the previously mapped activity. This information will then be used to condition your brain to function more optimally.
Not only is neurofeedback therapy in Lafayette, Louisiana painless and drug-free, but it can also be used to treat a variety of conditions like anxiety, ADHD, and depression. The different types of neurofeedback therapy used in Lafayette, Louisiana for these conditions include:
- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) – this is the most research-based method in Lafayette, Louisiana
- Low-Resolution Electromagnetic Tomography (LORE-TA) – it’s known for revealing a lot of information about how the brains of addicts work and the science of addiction in Lafayette, Louisiana
- Live Z-score Neurofeedback – it is most commonly used on people with insomnia and in local sleep clinics
- Hemoencephalographic (HEG) Neurofeedback – it is particularly used to help people in Lafayette, Louisiana with recurrent migraines as it provides information about the brain’s blood flow
- Slow Cortical Potential Neurofeedback (SCP-NF) – it is commonly used to help people in Lafayette, Louisiana with ADHD or epilepsy
- Frequency/Power Neurofeedback – it’s the most common and simple method used in Lafayette, Louisiana
- Low-Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS) – this method does not require the patient to make any conscious effort
Neurofeedback Therapy Lafayette, Louisiana for Depression
Research into depression shows that it usually occurs when there is an imbalance between the amount of activity in your brain’s left and right frontal lobe1https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression. While those with a more active left side seem to be upbeat, those with a more active right side are often sad and melancholic.
As such, in a bid to cure depression, therapists in Lafayette, Louisiana can use neurofeedback therapy to train your left frontal lobe to be more active. They will ensure our brain gets positive feedback each time your left frontal lobe is activated, encouraging your brain to activate it frequently. This can in turn alleviate the symptoms of depression. Neurofeedback therapy for depression is now a routine treatment in the wider Lafayette, Louisiana area.
Several studies have been done to test the efficacy of this approach, either as a stand-alone treatment or in combination with other approaches. One study even shows that 45% of people suffering from severe depression exhibited normal brain activity after 30 neurofeedback therapy sessions and heart rate variability training.
Another study showed improvement in 5 out of 9 participants subjected to neurofeedback therapy as a treatment for depression. While one person recorded a positive response, four went into full remission. Local therapists in Lafayette, Louisiana are reporting similar success rates.
Neurofeedback therapy in Lafayette, Louisiana for anxiety
People in Lafayette, Louisiana with anxiety usually have repetitive negative thoughts that make them nervous and afraid. And the more they have these thoughts, the more their brain gets locked in a state of hypersensitivity. It becomes a never-ending hole that is hard to come out of. To return the brain to balance, mental health practitioners in Lafayette, Louisiana can use neurofeedback therapy to train your brain to regulate itself during situations that would normally trigger anxiety.
Neurofeedback therapy for ADHD in Lafayette, Louisiana
Normally, when we’re working on a task, brain activity increases, allowing us to concentrate. But for people in Lafayette, Louisiana with ADHD, the opposite commonly happens – their brains slow down, making it harder for them to concentrate. This is usually because most of their brains have low concentrations of high-frequency beta waves and high concentrations of low-frequency theta or delta waves.
And while a combination of behavioral therapy and psychostimulants is usually the traditional approach to treating ADHD, this approach comes with some downsides. For instance, some patients have complained about a reduction in appetite and eventually weight loss upon starting medication.
As such, some mental health practitioners in Lafayette, Louisiana are turning to neurofeedback therapy to improve the brain’s capacity for beta waves and alleviate ADHD symptoms. These waves help us process information and solve problems. On the other hand, high concentrations of theta waves lead to disorganization, difficulties in completing tasks, and high distractability.
It is unsurprising several studies reported a significant improvement when neurofeedback therapy was included as part of an overall ADHD treatment plan.
Neurofeedback therapy for autism in Lafayette, Louisiana
Autism is a disorder that is characterized by difficulties with speech, communication, socializing, and repetitive behavior. The severity of the condition varies from person to person. As such, there is no one-size-fits-all treatment for this condition – each patient needs a tailor-made approach.
And while most patients with autism in Lafayette, Louisiana rely on traditional forms of treatment like medication, cognitive behavior therapy, and speech-language therapy, some have turned to neurofeedback therapy. But there aren’t many studies on the efficacy of neurofeedback therapy against autism. In fact, some of the supporters of this course of treatment base their belief on research on its efficacy against ADHD.
Neurofeedback Therapy Lafayette, Louisiana
Are there any side effects to Neurofeedback Therapy in Lafayette, Louisiana?
While neurofeedback therapy in Lafayette, Louisiana is painless and non-invasive, it does have some side effects. These may include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Vocal changes
- Brain fog
- Dizziness and fatigue
- Head pressure
- Muscle tension
- Worsening of symptoms
Neurofeedback therapy isn’t right for everyone so do check with your local team in Lafayette, Louisiana and of course consult your Doctor or Physician.
All types of Rehab and Treatment in Lafayette, Louisiana
Eating Disorder Treatment Centers in Lafayette, Louisiana
Lafayette, Louisiana Wellness Centers
Lafayette, Louisiana Telehealth
Mental Health Retreats in Lafayette, Louisiana
Online Rehab in Lafayette, Louisiana
Depression Treatment Centers in Lafayette, Louisiana
Cost of Rehab in Lafayette, Louisiana
Suboxone Clinics in Lafayette, Louisiana
Anxiety Treatment Centers in Lafayette, Louisiana
Top Psychiatrists in Lafayette, Louisiana
Christian Rehab Centers in Lafayette, Louisiana
Drug Rehabs in Lafayette, Louisiana
Teen Rehab in Lafayette, Louisiana
Therapeutic Boarding Schools in Lafayette, Louisiana
Rehabilitation Centers Near Lafayette, Louisiana
All Rehabs in Lafayette, Louisiana
Rehabs in Lafayette, Louisiana
Find the Best Rehabs all over the World
Find an Neurofeedback Therapist in Lafayette, Louisiana
|Business Name||Rating||Categories||Phone Number||Address|
|Don Short LPC – After Hours Counseling||Counseling & Mental Health||+13372300533||1106 Coolidge St, Ste 105, Lafayette, LA 70503|
|Aucoin & Associates Psychology Practice||Counseling & Mental Health||+13372370788||3312 Kaliste Saloom Rd, Lafayette, LA 70508|
|Acadiana Area Human Services District||Counseling & Mental Health||+13372624190||302 Dulles Dr, Lafayette, LA 70506|
|Jeremy H Broussard, LPC||Counseling & Mental Health||+12255735140||404 Pere Megret St, Abbeville, LA 70511|
|Vermilion Behavioral Health Systems||Counseling & Mental Health, Hospitals, Psychiatrists||+18664873935||2520 N University Ave, Lafayette, LA 70507|
|Counseling Center Of South Louisiana||Counseling & Mental Health||+13374573000||130 S 3rd St, Eunice, LA 70535|
|ACA Clinic||Counseling & Mental Health||+12252847158||23823 Eden St, Plaquemine, LA 70764|
Lafayette (, French: [lafajɛt]) is a city in the U.S. state of Louisiana, and the most populous city and parish seat of Lafayette Parish, located along the Vermilion River. It is Louisiana’s fourth largest incorporated municipality by population and the 234th-most populous in the United States, with a 2020 census population of 121,374; the consolidated city-parish’s population was 241,753 in 2020. The Lafayette metropolitan area was Louisiana’s third largest metropolitan statistical area with a population of 478,384 at the 2020 census. The Acadiana region containing Lafayette is the largest population and economic corridor between Houston, Texas and New Orleans.
Originally established as Vermilionville in the 1820s and incorporated in 1836, Lafayette developed as an agricultural community until the introduction of retail and entertainment centers, and the discovery of oil in the area in the 1940s. Since the discovery of oil, the city and parish have had the highest number of workers in the oil and natural gas industry in Louisiana as of 2018. With the issuance of a bond ordinance for a series of roads connecting nearby settlements; the establishment of the University of Louisiana System’s Lafayette campus; and the continued diversification of its economy, Lafayette and its metropolitan area have experienced population growth since the 1840 census and was promptly nicknamed “The Hub City.” The city and parish of Lafayette are also known as the “Heart of Acadiana.” As a result of its growth, the city and region have become major centers for the technology industry; Lafayette also became a major center for health care and social services, aerospace, banking and retail. Notable corporations with headquarters or a large presence in the Lafayette area have included Amazon, Brookshire Grocery Company, CGI, JP Morgan Chase, Ochsner Health System, Petroleum Helicopters International, and Rouses Markets.
Lafayette is home to a diverse population from Louisiana Creole and Cajun backgrounds. In 2014, Lafayette was named the “Happiest City in America.” The city and region’s cultural icons include Alexandre Mouton House, Brandt House, Charles H. Mouton House, the Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist, Daigle House, First United Methodist Church, Holy Rosary Institute, Hope Lodge No. 145, and Old Lafayette City Hall. Its educational institutions include the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, South Louisiana Community College, and Remington College.
References and Citations: Neurofeedback Therapy Lafayette, Louisiana
- Angelakis E., Stathopoulou S., Frymiare J. L., Green D. L., Lubar J. F., Kounios J. ( 2007). EEG neurofeedback: a brief overview and an example of peak alpha frequency training for cognitive enhancement in the elderly. Clinical Neuropsychologist, 21( 1), 110– 129. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Beatty J., Greenberg A., Deibler W. P., O’Hanlon J. F. ( 1974). Operant control of occipital theta rhythm affects performance in a radar monitoring task. Science, 183( 4127), 871– 873. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Collura T. F., Guan J., Tarrant J., Bailey J., Starr F. ( 2010). EEG biofeedback case studies using live Z-score training and a normative database. Journal of Neurotherapy, 14( 1), 22– 46. [Google Scholar]
- Escolano C., Olivan B., Lopez-del-Hoyo Y., Garcia-Campayo J., Minguez J. ( 2012). Double-blind single-session neuro-feedback training in upper-alpha for cognitive enhancement of healthy subjects. Conference Proceedings of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2012, 4643–4647. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2012.6347002. [Google Scholar]