Neurofeedback Therapy Germantown, Maryland
Neurofeedback Therapy in Germantown, Maryland
- Title: Neurofeedback Therapy in Germantown, Maryland
- Authored by Philippa Gold
- Edited by Hugh Soames
- Reviewed by Matthew Idle
- Neurofeedback Therapy Germantown, Maryland: We strive to provide the most up-to-date and accurate medical information on the web so our readers can make informed decisions about their healthcare. Our subject matter experts specialize in addiction treatment and behavioral healthcare. We follow strict guidelines when fact-checking information and only use credible sources when citing statistics and medical information. Look for the badge on our articles for the most up-to-date and accurate information. If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate or out-of-date, please let us know via our Contact Page
- Must Read Disclaimer: We use fact-based content and publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by professionals. The information we publish is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider. In a Medical Emergency contact the Emergency Services Immediately.
- Earnings: If you buy something through our ads or external links, we may earn a commission.
BetterHelp is one of the most well-known online therapy providers in the World. You may have heard of BetterHelp’s advertisements in Germantown, Maryland on podcasts, radio, or read about it online. According to the latest statistics provided by Betterhelp, the online therapy provider has nearly 2 million customers worldwide. Its client-base makes Better Help the world’s largest online therapy provider and a very popular choice.
Better Help ticks a lot of boxes for individuals seeking counseling and therapy to restore the right balance in their lives. All too often we fail to live our best life to our full potential because of things like drinking too much alcohol too regularly, sadness, grief, stress and burnout. The Betterhelp platform allows users to connect with therapists that can help with a variety of wellbeing concerns.
Specializations | Burnout, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Anger Management, Alcohol, Dependencies, Grief, Seasonal Depressive Disorder, Life Crisis, Smoking Cessation (among others)
Betterhelp Cost | The standard fee for BetterHelp therapy is only $65 to $90 per week
Key Takeaways |
- Largest online therapy platform
- Low cost
- Live video
- Phone calls
- Live chat
- No lock in contracts
- Cancel anytime
- Licensed and accredited therapists
Discounts Available | We have negotiated a generous 20% discount for readers of our website. Press Here to get 20% Off
Neurofeedback Therapy Germantown, Maryland
Neurofeedback therapy in Germantown, Maryland is a non-invasive process by which mental health practitioners in Germantown, Maryland measure a patient’s brain waves and assess how different tasks can improve their efficacy. The basis of this approach is the belief that changing the state of your brain can change your behavior.
After being extensively trialled in Germantown, Maryland over the past few years, Neurofeedback Therapy is fast becoming the go to treatment for those in the Germantown, Maryland area suffering from depression, anxiety, ADHD, neurosis, addiction and autism. It can be used to also in the process of managing withdrawal symptoms and some 12 step based rehabs offer neurofeedback therapy.
When you first go for a neurofeedback therapy session in Germantown, Maryland, your health practitioner will attach electrodes to your head and map out your default brain activity. Then as tasks are assigned, they will track how they alter the previously mapped activity. This information will then be used to condition your brain to function more optimally.
Not only is neurofeedback therapy in Germantown, Maryland painless and drug-free, but it can also be used to treat a variety of conditions like anxiety, ADHD, and depression. The different types of neurofeedback therapy used in Germantown, Maryland for these conditions include:
- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) – this is the most research-based method in Germantown, Maryland
- Low-Resolution Electromagnetic Tomography (LORE-TA) – it’s known for revealing a lot of information about how the brains of addicts work and the science of addiction in Germantown, Maryland
- Live Z-score Neurofeedback – it is most commonly used on people with insomnia and in local sleep clinics
- Hemoencephalographic (HEG) Neurofeedback – it is particularly used to help people in Germantown, Maryland with recurrent migraines as it provides information about the brain’s blood flow
- Slow Cortical Potential Neurofeedback (SCP-NF) – it is commonly used to help people in Germantown, Maryland with ADHD or epilepsy
- Frequency/Power Neurofeedback – it’s the most common and simple method used in Germantown, Maryland
- Low-Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS) – this method does not require the patient to make any conscious effort
Neurofeedback Therapy Germantown, Maryland for Depression
Research into depression shows that it usually occurs when there is an imbalance between the amount of activity in your brain’s left and right frontal lobe1https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression. While those with a more active left side seem to be upbeat, those with a more active right side are often sad and melancholic.
As such, in a bid to cure depression, therapists in Germantown, Maryland can use neurofeedback therapy to train your left frontal lobe to be more active. They will ensure our brain gets positive feedback each time your left frontal lobe is activated, encouraging your brain to activate it frequently. This can in turn alleviate the symptoms of depression. Neurofeedback therapy for depression is now a routine treatment in the wider Germantown, Maryland area.
Several studies have been done to test the efficacy of this approach, either as a stand-alone treatment or in combination with other approaches. One study even shows that 45% of people suffering from severe depression exhibited normal brain activity after 30 neurofeedback therapy sessions and heart rate variability training.
Another study showed improvement in 5 out of 9 participants subjected to neurofeedback therapy as a treatment for depression. While one person recorded a positive response, four went into full remission. Local therapists in Germantown, Maryland are reporting similar success rates.
Neurofeedback therapy in Germantown, Maryland for anxiety
People in Germantown, Maryland with anxiety usually have repetitive negative thoughts that make them nervous and afraid. And the more they have these thoughts, the more their brain gets locked in a state of hypersensitivity. It becomes a never-ending hole that is hard to come out of. To return the brain to balance, mental health practitioners in Germantown, Maryland can use neurofeedback therapy to train your brain to regulate itself during situations that would normally trigger anxiety.
Neurofeedback therapy for ADHD in Germantown, Maryland
Normally, when we’re working on a task, brain activity increases, allowing us to concentrate. But for people in Germantown, Maryland with ADHD, the opposite commonly happens – their brains slow down, making it harder for them to concentrate. This is usually because most of their brains have low concentrations of high-frequency beta waves and high concentrations of low-frequency theta or delta waves.
And while a combination of behavioral therapy and psychostimulants is usually the traditional approach to treating ADHD, this approach comes with some downsides. For instance, some patients have complained about a reduction in appetite and eventually weight loss upon starting medication.
As such, some mental health practitioners in Germantown, Maryland are turning to neurofeedback therapy to improve the brain’s capacity for beta waves and alleviate ADHD symptoms. These waves help us process information and solve problems. On the other hand, high concentrations of theta waves lead to disorganization, difficulties in completing tasks, and high distractability.
It is unsurprising several studies reported a significant improvement when neurofeedback therapy was included as part of an overall ADHD treatment plan.
Neurofeedback therapy for autism in Germantown, Maryland
Autism is a disorder that is characterized by difficulties with speech, communication, socializing, and repetitive behavior. The severity of the condition varies from person to person. As such, there is no one-size-fits-all treatment for this condition – each patient needs a tailor-made approach.
And while most patients with autism in Germantown, Maryland rely on traditional forms of treatment like medication, cognitive behavior therapy, and speech-language therapy, some have turned to neurofeedback therapy. But there aren’t many studies on the efficacy of neurofeedback therapy against autism. In fact, some of the supporters of this course of treatment base their belief on research on its efficacy against ADHD.
Neurofeedback Therapy Germantown, Maryland
Are there any side effects to Neurofeedback Therapy in Germantown, Maryland?
While neurofeedback therapy in Germantown, Maryland is painless and non-invasive, it does have some side effects. These may include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Vocal changes
- Brain fog
- Dizziness and fatigue
- Head pressure
- Muscle tension
- Worsening of symptoms
Neurofeedback therapy isn’t right for everyone so do check with your local team in Germantown, Maryland and of course consult your Doctor or Physician.
All types of Rehab and Treatment in Germantown, Maryland
Eating Disorder Treatment Centers in Germantown, Maryland
Germantown, Maryland Wellness Centers
Germantown, Maryland Telehealth
Mental Health Retreats in Germantown, Maryland
Online Rehab in Germantown, Maryland
Depression Treatment Centers in Germantown, Maryland
Cost of Rehab in Germantown, Maryland
Suboxone Clinics in Germantown, Maryland
Anxiety Treatment Centers in Germantown, Maryland
Top Psychiatrists in Germantown, Maryland
Christian Rehab Centers in Germantown, Maryland
Drug Rehabs in Germantown, Maryland
Teen Rehab in Germantown, Maryland
Therapeutic Boarding Schools in Germantown, Maryland
Rehabilitation Centers Near Germantown, Maryland
All Rehabs in Germantown, Maryland
Rehabs in Germantown, Maryland
Find the Best Rehabs all over the World
Find an Neurofeedback Therapist in Germantown, Maryland
|Business Name||Rating||Categories||Phone Number||Address|
|Second Chance Counseling Services||Counseling & Mental Health||+13019721373||19727 Executive Park Cir, Germantown, MD 20874|
|Guiding Principles Counseling Services||Counseling & Mental Health||+13019902777||957 Russell Ave, Ste A, Gaithersburg, MD 20879|
|Kentlands Psychotherapy||Psychologists, Psychiatrists, Sex Therapists||+12402523349||301 Inspiration Ln, Fl 2, Gaithersburg, MD 20878|
|Jessica Lin Mind-Body Healing and Hypnosis||Hypnosis/Hypnotherapy, Meditation Centers, Counseling & Mental Health||+12405930038||19634 Club House Rd, Ste 315, Gaithersburg, MD 20886|
|Olney Counseling Center||Counseling & Mental Health||+13015707500||3300 Olney Sandy Spring Rd, Ste 340, Olney, MD 20832|
|Washington Center For Women’s and Children’s Wellness||Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Meditation Centers||+13018819464||6430 Rockledge Dr, Ste 400, The Westmoreland Building, Bethesda, MD 20817|
|Thriveworks Counseling||Counseling & Mental Health, Life Coach||+12409496808||19805 Executive Park Cr, Germantown, MD 20874|
|In Step West||Counseling & Mental Health||+17034335771||6 Pidgeon Hill Dr, Ste 200, Sterling, VA 20165|
|Authentically U Counseling||Counseling & Mental Health, Life Coach||+12404268344||6209 Executive Blvd, Rockville, MD 20852|
|Key Point Hypnosis||Counseling & Mental Health||+12403886578||3280 Urbana Pike, Ste 106, Ijamsville, MD 21704|
|Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center – Mental Health||Psychologists||+13012514500||14901 Broschart Road, Rockville, MD 20850|
|Divine Healing||Counseling & Mental Health, Meditation Centers, Life Coach||+17036798266||Arlington, VA 22202|
|Nicole Fromm, Psy.D||Psychologists||+12408646007||9909 Medical Center Drive, Rockville, MD 20850|
|Strategic Life Coaching||Life Coach, Career Counseling, Counseling & Mental Health||+17035469494||21010 Southbank St, Ste 2030, Sterling, VA 20165|
|Washington Psychological Wellness||Counseling & Mental Health||+13017695878||845-F Quince Orchard Blvd, Gaithersburg, MD 20878|
|Open Door Psychiatric Associates||Psychologists||+12406302220||3717 Decatur Ave, Kensington, MD 20895|
|Brad Wasserman, LCSW-C||Counseling & Mental Health||+13013252103||18900 Bluewillow Ln, Montgomery Village, MD 20886|
|Green Ridge Behavioral Health||Counseling & Mental Health, Psychiatrists||+12406836202||610 Professional Dr, Gaithersburg, MD 20879|
|Samantha Rodman, PhD||Psychologists||+17075204347||6131 Executive Blvd, North Bethesda, MD 20852|
|Potomac Psychiatry||Psychiatrists, Counseling & Mental Health||+13019849791||5920 Hubbard Dr, Rockville, MD 20852|
Germantown is an urbanized census-designated place in Montgomery County, Maryland, United States. With a population of 91,249 as of 2020 U.S. Decennial Census, Germantown is the third most populous place in Maryland, after the city of Baltimore, and the census-designated place of Columbia. Germantown is located approximately 28 miles (45 km) outside the U.S. capital of Washington, D.C. and is an important part of the Washington metropolitan area.
Germantown was founded in the early 19th century by European immigrants, though much of the area’s development did not take place until the mid-20th century. The original plan for Germantown divided the area into a downtown and six town villages: Gunners Lake Village, Kingsview Village, Churchill Village, Middlebrook Village, Clopper’s Mill Village, and Neelsville Village. The Churchill Town Sector at the corner of Maryland Route 118 and Middlebrook Road most closely resembles the downtown or center of Germantown because of the location of the Upcounty Regional Services Center, the Germantown Public Library, the Black Rock Arts Center, the Regal Germantown Stadium 14, and pedestrian shopping that features an array of restaurants. Three exits to Interstate 270 are less than one mile away, the Maryland Area Regional Commuter train is within walking distance, and the Germantown Transit Center that provides Ride On shuttle service to the Shady Grove station of the Washington Metro’s Red Line.
Germantown has the assigned ZIP codes of 20874 and 20876 for delivery and 20875 for post office boxes. It is the only “Germantown, Maryland” recognized by the United States Postal Service, though three other Maryland counties have unincorporated communities with the same name.
References and Citations: Neurofeedback Therapy Germantown, Maryland
- Angelakis E., Stathopoulou S., Frymiare J. L., Green D. L., Lubar J. F., Kounios J. ( 2007). EEG neurofeedback: a brief overview and an example of peak alpha frequency training for cognitive enhancement in the elderly. Clinical Neuropsychologist, 21( 1), 110– 129. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Beatty J., Greenberg A., Deibler W. P., O’Hanlon J. F. ( 1974). Operant control of occipital theta rhythm affects performance in a radar monitoring task. Science, 183( 4127), 871– 873. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Collura T. F., Guan J., Tarrant J., Bailey J., Starr F. ( 2010). EEG biofeedback case studies using live Z-score training and a normative database. Journal of Neurotherapy, 14( 1), 22– 46. [Google Scholar]
- Escolano C., Olivan B., Lopez-del-Hoyo Y., Garcia-Campayo J., Minguez J. ( 2012). Double-blind single-session neuro-feedback training in upper-alpha for cognitive enhancement of healthy subjects. Conference Proceedings of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2012, 4643–4647. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2012.6347002. [Google Scholar]