Neurofeedback Therapy Brooklyn, New York
Neurofeedback Therapy in Brooklyn, New York
- Title: Neurofeedback Therapy in Brooklyn, New York
- Authored by Philippa Gold
- Edited by Hugh Soames
- Reviewed by Matthew Idle
- Neurofeedback Therapy Brooklyn, New York: We strive to provide the most up-to-date and accurate medical information on the web so our readers can make informed decisions about their healthcare. Our subject matter experts specialize in addiction treatment and behavioral healthcare. We follow strict guidelines when fact-checking information and only use credible sources when citing statistics and medical information. Look for the badge on our articles for the most up-to-date and accurate information. If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate or out-of-date, please let us know via our Contact Page
- Must Read Disclaimer: We use fact-based content and publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by professionals. The information we publish is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider. In a Medical Emergency contact the Emergency Services Immediately.
- Earnings: If you buy something through our ads or external links, we may earn a commission.
Betterhelp Therapy - Connect With a Licensed Therapist Now & Get 20% Off
BetterHelp is one of the most well-known online therapy providers in the World. You may have heard of BetterHelp’s advertisements in Brooklyn, New York on podcasts, radio, or read about it online. According to the latest statistics provided by Betterhelp, the online therapy provider has nearly 2 million customers worldwide. Its client-base makes Better Help the world’s largest online therapy provider and a very popular choice.
Better Help ticks a lot of boxes for individuals seeking counseling and therapy to restore the right balance in their lives. All too often we fail to live our best life to our full potential because of things like drinking too much alcohol too regularly, sadness, grief, stress and burnout. The Betterhelp platform allows users to connect with therapists that can help with a variety of wellbeing concerns.
Specializations | Burnout, Anxiety, Depression, Stress, Anger Management, Alcohol, Dependencies, Grief, Seasonal Depressive Disorder, Life Crisis, Smoking Cessation (among others)
Betterhelp Cost | The standard fee for BetterHelp therapy is only $65 to $90 per week
Key Takeaways |
- Largest online therapy platform
- Low cost
- Live video
- Phone calls
- Live chat
- No lock in contracts
- Cancel anytime
- Licensed and accredited therapists
Discounts Available | We have negotiated a generous 20% discount for readers of our website. Press Here to get 20% Off
Neurofeedback Therapy Brooklyn, New York
Neurofeedback therapy in Brooklyn, New York is a non-invasive process by which mental health practitioners in Brooklyn, New York measure a patient’s brain waves and assess how different tasks can improve their efficacy. The basis of this approach is the belief that changing the state of your brain can change your behavior.
After being extensively trialled in Brooklyn, New York over the past few years, Neurofeedback Therapy is fast becoming the go to treatment for those in the Brooklyn, New York area suffering from depression, anxiety, ADHD, neurosis, addiction and autism. It can be used to also in the process of managing withdrawal symptoms and some 12 step based rehabs offer neurofeedback therapy.
When you first go for a neurofeedback therapy session in Brooklyn, New York, your health practitioner will attach electrodes to your head and map out your default brain activity. Then as tasks are assigned, they will track how they alter the previously mapped activity. This information will then be used to condition your brain to function more optimally.
Not only is neurofeedback therapy in Brooklyn, New York painless and drug-free, but it can also be used to treat a variety of conditions like anxiety, ADHD, and depression. The different types of neurofeedback therapy used in Brooklyn, New York for these conditions include:
- Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) – this is the most research-based method in Brooklyn, New York
- Low-Resolution Electromagnetic Tomography (LORE-TA) – it’s known for revealing a lot of information about how the brains of addicts work and the science of addiction in Brooklyn, New York
- Live Z-score Neurofeedback – it is most commonly used on people with insomnia and in local sleep clinics
- Hemoencephalographic (HEG) Neurofeedback – it is particularly used to help people in Brooklyn, New York with recurrent migraines as it provides information about the brain’s blood flow
- Slow Cortical Potential Neurofeedback (SCP-NF) – it is commonly used to help people in Brooklyn, New York with ADHD or epilepsy
- Frequency/Power Neurofeedback – it’s the most common and simple method used in Brooklyn, New York
- Low-Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS) – this method does not require the patient to make any conscious effort
Neurofeedback Therapy Brooklyn, New York for Depression
Research into depression shows that it usually occurs when there is an imbalance between the amount of activity in your brain’s left and right frontal lobe1https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression. While those with a more active left side seem to be upbeat, those with a more active right side are often sad and melancholic.
As such, in a bid to cure depression, therapists in Brooklyn, New York can use neurofeedback therapy to train your left frontal lobe to be more active. They will ensure our brain gets positive feedback each time your left frontal lobe is activated, encouraging your brain to activate it frequently. This can in turn alleviate the symptoms of depression. Neurofeedback therapy for depression is now a routine treatment in the wider Brooklyn, New York area.
Several studies have been done to test the efficacy of this approach, either as a stand-alone treatment or in combination with other approaches. One study even shows that 45% of people suffering from severe depression exhibited normal brain activity after 30 neurofeedback therapy sessions and heart rate variability training.
Another study showed improvement in 5 out of 9 participants subjected to neurofeedback therapy as a treatment for depression. While one person recorded a positive response, four went into full remission. Local therapists in Brooklyn, New York are reporting similar success rates.
Neurofeedback therapy in Brooklyn, New York for anxiety
People in Brooklyn, New York with anxiety usually have repetitive negative thoughts that make them nervous and afraid. And the more they have these thoughts, the more their brain gets locked in a state of hypersensitivity. It becomes a never-ending hole that is hard to come out of. To return the brain to balance, mental health practitioners in Brooklyn, New York can use neurofeedback therapy to train your brain to regulate itself during situations that would normally trigger anxiety.
Neurofeedback therapy for ADHD in Brooklyn, New York
Normally, when we’re working on a task, brain activity increases, allowing us to concentrate. But for people in Brooklyn, New York with ADHD, the opposite commonly happens – their brains slow down, making it harder for them to concentrate. This is usually because most of their brains have low concentrations of high-frequency beta waves and high concentrations of low-frequency theta or delta waves.
And while a combination of behavioral therapy and psychostimulants is usually the traditional approach to treating ADHD, this approach comes with some downsides. For instance, some patients have complained about a reduction in appetite and eventually weight loss upon starting medication.
As such, some mental health practitioners in Brooklyn, New York are turning to neurofeedback therapy to improve the brain’s capacity for beta waves and alleviate ADHD symptoms. These waves help us process information and solve problems. On the other hand, high concentrations of theta waves lead to disorganization, difficulties in completing tasks, and high distractability.
It is unsurprising several studies reported a significant improvement when neurofeedback therapy was included as part of an overall ADHD treatment plan.
Neurofeedback therapy for autism in Brooklyn, New York
Autism is a disorder that is characterized by difficulties with speech, communication, socializing, and repetitive behavior. The severity of the condition varies from person to person. As such, there is no one-size-fits-all treatment for this condition – each patient needs a tailor-made approach.
And while most patients with autism in Brooklyn, New York rely on traditional forms of treatment like medication, cognitive behavior therapy, and speech-language therapy, some have turned to neurofeedback therapy. But there aren’t many studies on the efficacy of neurofeedback therapy against autism. In fact, some of the supporters of this course of treatment base their belief on research on its efficacy against ADHD.
Neurofeedback Therapy Brooklyn, New York
Are there any side effects to Neurofeedback Therapy in Brooklyn, New York?
While neurofeedback therapy in Brooklyn, New York is painless and non-invasive, it does have some side effects. These may include:
- Cognitive impairment
- Vocal changes
- Brain fog
- Dizziness and fatigue
- Head pressure
- Muscle tension
- Worsening of symptoms
Neurofeedback therapy isn’t right for everyone so do check with your local team in Brooklyn, New York and of course consult your Doctor or Physician.
All types of Rehab and Treatment in Brooklyn, New York
Eating Disorder Treatment Centers in Brooklyn, New York
Brooklyn, New York Wellness Centers
Brooklyn, New York Telehealth
Mental Health Retreats in Brooklyn, New York
Online Rehab in Brooklyn, New York
Depression Treatment Centers in Brooklyn, New York
Cost of Rehab in Brooklyn, New York
Suboxone Clinics in Brooklyn, New York
Anxiety Treatment Centers in Brooklyn, New York
Top Psychiatrists in Brooklyn, New York
Christian Rehab Centers in Brooklyn, New York
Drug Rehabs in Brooklyn, New York
Teen Rehab in Brooklyn, New York
Therapeutic Boarding Schools in Brooklyn, New York
Rehabilitation Centers Near Brooklyn, New York
All Rehabs in Brooklyn, New York
Rehabs in Brooklyn, New York
Find the Best Rehabs all over the World
Worlds Best Rehab
Find an Neurofeedback Therapist in Brooklyn, New York
|Business Name||Rating||Categories||Phone Number||Address|
|Cornell & Associates Marriage and Family Therapy||Counseling & Mental Health, Career Counseling||+19172251401||41 Union Sq W, Ste 1328, New York, NY 10003|
|Williamsburg Therapy Group||Psychiatrists, Psychologists||+13477650904||62 Grand St, Brooklyn, NY 11249|
|Park Slope Therapist – Lois Abramchik, LCSW||Counseling & Mental Health||+13472045991||779 Carroll St, Brooklyn, NY 11215|
|New Perspective CBT/DBT||Psychologists||+15155997209||1170 Ocean Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11230|
|Groundwork Therapy||Psychologists||+13476699792||1000 Dean St, Ste 226, Brooklyn, NY 11238|
|Embracing Joy Psychotherapy||Counseling & Mental Health||+12123306867||29 West 36th St, Fifth Floor, Manhattan, NY 10018|
|Julia Baum Therapy||Counseling & Mental Health||+16467913939||195 Broadway, Fl 4, Brooklyn, NY 11211|
|Psychobabble Brooklyn||Counseling & Mental Health||+16465042687||1025 Seneca Ave, Queens, NY 11385|
|Jessica Elkin Shack, Psy.D.||Psychologists||+19144204565||808 Union St, Brooklyn, NY 11215|
|Raquele Williams – Psychotherapist||Psychologists||+17189246602||26 Court St, Ste 2610, Brooklyn Heights, NY 11242|
|Yelena Zhuklevich, LCSW||Counseling & Mental Health||+19176749522||3380 Nostrand Ave, Ste 1E, Brooklyn, NY 11229|
|NYC Comprehensive Psychological Services, PC||Psychologists||+13477814614||396 3rd St, Brooklyn, NY 11215|
|Augusta Gordon, LCSW-R||Psychologists||+13472557637||117 Dobbin St, Brooklyn, NY 11222|
|Therapy Brooklyn||Counseling & Mental Health||+13477521259||252 Java St, Brooklyn, NY 11222|
|Joan Stenzler, LCSW, SEP||Counseling & Mental Health||+16462505379||Fresh Meadows, NY 11366|
|Brooklyn Psychotherapy||Psychologists||+13474748464||148 Wilson Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11237|
|Small Brooklyn Psychology||Psychologists||+17186224058||68 35th St, Ste C-556, Brooklyn, NY 11232|
|Alicia Spiritual Healer||Reiki, Counseling & Mental Health||89 Sterling St, Brooklyn, NY 11225|
|North Brooklyn Marriage & Family Therapy||Counseling & Mental Health||+17187859718||315 Graham Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211|
|Williamsburg Therapy Group||Psychiatrists, Psychologists||+13479706757||223 Franklin St, Brooklyn, NY 11222|
References and Citations: Neurofeedback Therapy Brooklyn, New York
- Angelakis E., Stathopoulou S., Frymiare J. L., Green D. L., Lubar J. F., Kounios J. ( 2007). EEG neurofeedback: a brief overview and an example of peak alpha frequency training for cognitive enhancement in the elderly. Clinical Neuropsychologist, 21( 1), 110– 129. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Beatty J., Greenberg A., Deibler W. P., O’Hanlon J. F. ( 1974). Operant control of occipital theta rhythm affects performance in a radar monitoring task. Science, 183( 4127), 871– 873. [PubMed] [Google Scholar]
- Collura T. F., Guan J., Tarrant J., Bailey J., Starr F. ( 2010). EEG biofeedback case studies using live Z-score training and a normative database. Journal of Neurotherapy, 14( 1), 22– 46. [Google Scholar]
- Escolano C., Olivan B., Lopez-del-Hoyo Y., Garcia-Campayo J., Minguez J. ( 2012). Double-blind single-session neuro-feedback training in upper-alpha for cognitive enhancement of healthy subjects. Conference Proceedings of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2012, 4643–4647. doi: 10.1109/EMBC.2012.6347002. [Google Scholar]